Saturday, April 19, 2014

Journal Entry 041914-A: Battleship Marine!

Friends,
 
First let me invite you to "visit" my little Marine Supply Store in Fairhope, Alabama!
 
I have worked hard over the last two years now entering my third boating season since Opening in January 2012 to offer you Marine Supplies at a "Discount" Price!
 
I couldn't have done it without you my customers and friends!
 
I am very appreciative of your business and support!
 
I am looking forward to being here in this location for this 3rd season and hopefully many more!
 
Today's short-story about my boating experience's will be about another trip down to the Ammunition Dump.
 
I have already told you the story of my parents and I fishing the ammo dump back in the early 70's well in a previous post.
 
This story will be a little different in nature.
 
 Deer River as it is called by those that don't remember after World War II that if I am correct the area was dredged the sand pumped on the beach at the end of Bay Road South of Dog River on Hollingers Island to form what is now a high sand hill with a Pine-Grove that has grown on top of the hill was then still affectionately known to the locals as the Ammo Dump and Ammo Dump Channel.
 
Gaillards Island I'm not even sure had been pumped up at the time this story begins but had by the time Valerie and I went on our little night time fishing trip.
 
   As a child or teenager myself a friend Aimee and another friend Michelle once sat under those tall pines in a cool breeze on a hot summer day and looked across the beautiful Mobile Bay below us on top of what seemed like a mountain back then through my eye's!
 
You can see the pine grove from Fairhope, Alabama if you look just South of Dog River Bridge!
 
There was no Navy Base in those days and to the west was an area we called the dunes if my memory serves me correctly where others went dune buggy riding.
 
My friends and I jumped our dirt-bikes down there- well I tried to jump the sand hills but I had a an old ram style handle bar type 10 Speed then a 3 speed but I still tried to jump it a little bit but neither bikes were built for that but my friends bikes were.
 
Let's finish talking about the Ammo dump.
 
The hole pumped out was filled with old ammunition as the story goes my friends left-over from World War II!
 
One night my ex-wife Valerie and I launched the glass-tron at Dog River with the 40 horsepower Evinrude that I had rebuilt in Silver hill and headed down for a night fishing trip.
 
It was a beautiful night if my memory serves me correct a calm Mobile Bay and a full-moon.
 
We played around out in the bay with the boat and anchored for a little while prior to heading on down to the ammo dump channel to do a little fishing.
 
While anchored we listened to some music talked and had supper-most likely some fried chicken.
 
The Navy Base had been built by this time in the late-90's but had been closed for almost ten years.
 
The turning basin for the Navy Ships was deep and I wanted to try our luck in that deep water since it had been years since I had fished the area of the Western Shore where I had grown up playing in the bay from my parents home on Hollinger's Island!
 
I was selling homes for Charlie Dukes when we made this trip over to dog river from either Silver hill or our home in Daphne, Alabama.
 
That's all really beside the point what this story is about is a beautiful moon-lit night spending some time boat riding, playing and fishing with a person from a previous life on Mobile Bay.
 
We pulled up to a beacon after using my Hummingbird to find the deep water and tied up letting the boat drift out with the wind and tide to a point 20-30' away from the Beacon or Channel Marker.
 
We had a tide to beat before it quit moving so we proceeded to try our luck both with dead shrimp and artificial grubs.
 
Chartreuse is the one I believe that worked that night with the red head. It has been years but I also had plenty of White Grubs with the red-head on board and to be honest I think that is the one that caught the Trout.
 
We had luck with both the dead shrimp and the grubs!
 
Fine White Trout maybe a Speck or two but what was a first was what Valerie caught!!!
 
She hooked into a fish not far from the piling of the channel marker or beacon that felt a little different or at least it looked a little different in the way the rod bent as she was yelling "I have something big on here Cliff"!!
 
I wasn't sure what she had. It could have been a red fish or a sheep-head!!!
 
Yall she brought the fish to the boat that night in the late 90's and it was a dang fine Mango Snapper!
 
I had caught Snapper in the Gulf of Mexico on my friend Jay Barnetts 32' Sea-Ray in the early 90's but for Valerie to catch a big Mango Snapper that far North in Mobile Bay was an exciting thing to happen especially for her and for me to watch because she loves to fish!!
 
Valerie loves to fish and I hope she has had the opportunity to do a lot of fishing since our divorce.
 
The fish began to slow their bite as the tide came to a standstill and only an occasional catfish would hit a dead shrimp after the tide stopped moving so we headed on back toward Dog River on that beautiful moon-lit night in late summer of the late 1990's!
 
It was probably close to midnight before we got the boat back on the trailer and got back across Battleship Parkway to our home which by this point in writing the story I have determined to have been in Daphne, Alabama.
 
The trip back to Baldwin County and to our home and children was a relaxing experience because the boat, engine and trailer performed beautifully that night and my then wife Valerie and I had some fish in the cooler and an experience of a lifetime to share with our family, friends and co-workers on Monday Morning!
 
Most of the story anyway!
 
Well yall! We were on a boat on a Moon-lit night so I'll leave it at that. Hopefully that's tame enough for my readers for goodness sakes!
 
Jay or Nancy if you read this which I hope you do- I hope I got the length of the Sea-Ray right cause what a fine boat yall had if you don't mind me saying so my friends!
 
I hope you enjoyed the short-story today because unlike the story a couple of days ago this story was a true story!
 
I hope you have found a business, product, service or something you would like to have yourself on the advertising page. If your looking for something please let me place a wanted advertisement on that site for you.

I would also love to post your items "For-Sale" and your "Fish" Pictures!
 
If you do need Marine Supplies, Marine Engine Parts or Boat Trailer Parts please browse the pages section located in the right side-bar of the web-version of this site!
 
If you don't find the items you are looking for please stop by or give me a call and I'll do my best to get it for you!
 
The Goal is to save you some time and money on "Quality" Merchandise!

I'm slowly working to be in a position to increase my "Athletic Gifts and Nautical Gifts" inventory as well! Please browse the pages Section of my Home Blog and the Gulf Coast Girls site as those items are featured on those pages in that order.


Please keep in mind the "Merchandise Pages" Section is located in right side-bar of the web-version of each of the 3 sites I feature products "For-Sale" and that I inventory here at Battleship Marine.
 
Listed below are some of the Categories of Marine Supplies that are "Available" to me here at Battleship Marine by my Wholesalers that are "Available" to you!
 
*Electronics
*Navigation Equipment
*Electrical Supplies
*Lighting Supplies
*Marine Batteries
*General Boating
*Safety Supplies
*Anchoring
*Mooring
*Water-Sports
*Trolling
*Fishing
*Seating
*Covers
*Tops
*Paint
*Maintenance
*Deck Hardware
*Fasteners
*Steering
*Controls
*Pumps and Plumbing
*Ventilation
*Marine Engine Parts
*Fuel Tanks, Fuel Lines, Fuel Fittings, Fuel Filters
*Oil, Grease, Lubricants
*Propellers (Stainless Steel and Aluminum)
*Zincs and Anodes
*Boat Trailer Parts
*Magic Tilt Trailers
*Consignment Sales Welcomed
*Free advertising of your local Business, Product, Service or Items "For-Sale" on the "classified" advertising blog!

Again thank you for visiting Battleship Marines web-site's and please do give me a call or stop by if I can be of Service to you on your Marine Supplies!

Please Visit Battleship Marine I sure appreciate it yall!
 
Have a Safe and Enjoyable 2014 Boating and Fishing Season!
  
God Bless, Peace, Love and Knowledge!

Floyd Clifton Wooley




 
 
 
 

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive